Tots Units Fem Força
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter Seven

Go down

Chapter Seven Empty Chapter Seven

Post by Admin Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 pm

“What’s going on?” Ana asked as she sat on the sofa close to Andreu, reaching out to ruffle his hair, he smiled.

“Well as you know we’ve taken your brother through a battery of tests to see if any progress is possible with his condition, and doctors have informed us that there is a new physical therapy breakthrough that might allow him to regain minimal movement in his legs. Now, the thing is, this treatment is in the United States. I would have to stay here to work, but your mother can’t take care of him alone. I ask that you go overseas with them in order to take care of him until college,” her dad said.

Her eyes widened, “America?” He nodded, “Nowhere in Europe has the ability to help treat this particular type of paralysis, but there was a successful recovery over in the states, and the doctors are hopeful.”

She nodded, “Anything.” Andreu shook his head, “I don’t want to upheave your life.”

She turned her head, “I would go to the moon for you Andreu. This is nothing. Besides, I’m the only one fluent in English, so it would be hard to do it otherwise. If I can get enrolled in a school I can pass any proficiency exam, and then go to appointments after school to translate if they don’t have someone available.”

Her father smiled, “Thank you, Ana.”

~~

When Dani arrived at school she found Ana was already there, looking more pensive than normal. She flopped unceremoniously into her seat, “I have loads to tell you.” “So do I,” Ana replied softly.

“So Gerard and I got into this huge fight – I wanted to pay for my meal, and he wouldn’t let me. So then I ended up spilling coffee everywhere and he stormed off saying it was too immature. Then yesterday I ran into Cesc, who tells me the giant is leaving for England!” she ranted, “And it bothers me way more than it should!”

After heaving a long, weary sigh, she turned to her friend, “So what’s your news?”

“You know how my brother has been going for all of those tests recently? Well they found there is a possibility for treatment, but only in the United States, so I’ll be going there as soon as the arrangements are made,” Ana explained softly. Dani’s jaw dropped, “Everyone is leaving?”

The girl next to her shrugged.

“That’s not fair! I just made friends this year, and now you’re leaving! Why couldn’t you get out of it or something?” she whined.

She saw the familiar cold glint return in her friend’s eyes, “Not fair is my brother losing his ability to walk. You can make other friends – the possibility of him ever walking again is slim to none. Be we are going to try are damn hardest to assure that it’s a possibility. So don’t tell me about unfair.”

Her mouth snapped shut, and horror hit her bluntly. So this was why Gerard probably got angry – she didn’t always think about others, only herself. She did care, but she easily forgot that others had problems when she was wrapped up in her own dilemmas.

She knew she needed to change that before friendship abandoned her altogether.

Ana completely shut down for the rest of the day, becoming despondent (except to teachers).

Her parents picked her up that day, leaving her to walk home alone. It was boring and lonely going the stretch alone, and when she reached the familiar fence, she saw Cesc and Leo were waiting. Gerard was nowhere in sight.

“Where’s Ana?” the Argentine asked shyly. “Her parents picked her up today. She’s moving soon,” Dani answered.

Cesc gave her an apologetic look, but she knew she didn’t deserve it. “I feel like such a horrible friend! I said the most insensitive things feeling sorry for myself, but she’s only going to support her brother. I don’t even know when she’s leaving!” “Hey, hey, calm down,” the taller boy said, trying to calm her through the fence. She took several deep breaths, but she was sufficiently worked up.

She wanted to fix everything, but she wasn’t sure how to accomplish that anymore.

~~

Ana sat next to Andreu in the airport, waiting for their flight to board to the United States – she felt anxious about leaving home, since she would be moving to an entirely different country.

“Are you sure about coming?” her brother asked for the umpteenth time that hour. She nodded, “I’m positive. I want to be there for you, Andreu.” He looked unsure still, but shot her a toothy smile regardless. Several feet away her parents were saying their goodbyes since her father would be staying behind. They also knew flights back and forth would be expensive and difficult. The plan was for her father to job hunt in the United States since he too was fluent in English.

She already knew she would be returning for university since she was and EU citizen and it was much more affordable.

She was going to miss the city of Barcelona though, and had no idea if she would like in Norfolk, Virginia. However, their children’s hospital was supposed to be top notch in treating adolescent paralysis. Any improvement would make the journey worth it.

“Ana!” she heard Daniyah call. Behind her schoolmate were Cesc and Leo. She’d been hoping to avoid a goodbye, but knew it was rude of her to leave without one.

“I can’t believe you’re actually going,” the other girl said sadly, twisting her hands anxiously, “And I’m sorry for my thoughtless words.” Ana nodded, “I was still in disbelief about going, so I’m sorry for being overly sensitive.” Cesc sighed, “It seems like everyone is leaving in some way or another.” They all nodded sadly.

“Well, I’ll be back for university,” Ana said, trying to cheer them up.

Cesc bit his lip, “I’m leaving for England to. I got offered a spot at Arsenal in London.” Leo smiled and congratulated him while Ana noticed Dani seemed to further deflate.

“Flight 483, Barcelona to Norfolk, is now boarding. All passengers report to gate 3."

“Well, that’s me,” Ana said, lifting up her carryon bag. “You’d better write,” Dani threatened halfheartedly. “Of course, and maybe I’ll get to visit over the summer.” They all smiled sadly at each other before she turned and pushed Andreu toward the gate as her parents exchanged one last tearful hug and kiss.

“Everyone is leaving,” Leo mumbled, his hands clenching. Dani nodded sadly, knowing soon they’d be watching Gerard and Cesc board a plane as well.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://barca.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum