Tots Units Fem Força
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter Ten

Go down

Chapter Ten Empty Chapter Ten

Post by Admin Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Nina woke with a start, the images of war still fresh in her mind. She could have sword she was back in the desert, the heat scorching her body, and the sand suffocating her. But she was in her bedroom, dressed in her pajamas instead of a military uniform.

Her arm lifted from underneath the covers, and found the case sitting on her nightstand.

Opening the case, her fingers ran over the Medal of Honor. Her eyes slipped shut, remembering the day she received it. It had been a big affair, meeting President Bush. She then had gone to the inaugural ball of President Obama a year later or so.

She shuddered, and closed the case again. She still hadn’t been able to save everyone.

A glance at the clock told her it wasn’t worth trying to fall back asleep, so she stretched and stood. Grabbing her clothes for the day, she headed to the bathroom to shower, hoping that would wake her up some. She was glad to sooth her muscles under the scalding spray, taking her time.

Finally she felt better, and got ready for the day.

The hours seemed to fly by, but her mind was either focused on work, or elsewhere. It often wandered to her past, to the war, to all the death. It wandered to David and his daughters. It refused to settle, and she found herself surprised when the day came to an end. She bid the workers farewell for the day, and set her hardhat aside. After yanking her hair from the bun it was in and shaking it out, she headed out of the work site.

Only minutes after leaving, her phone rang.

“Hello?” she answered, seeing it was David. ‘I just settled the deal! Next season I’ll be playing for FC Barcelona,’ he announced without waiting a second.

A smile tugged at her mouth immediately, “This seems like a cause for celebration.” ‘I’ll have the cab take us to your house,’ he said. She agreed, and hung up so she could drive. It seemed surreal that he was leaving Valencia to come and play at the team she’d grown up with, that he would be living in the same city as her, and that their relationship really might work, despite all of her apprehensions.

David arrived minutes after she’d changed, Zaida running in to hug her.

He smiled at her, setting Olaya down on the couch. She twirled Zaida around in a big hug before setting her down on the ground. “Congratulations,” she smiled brightly, “When’s your official presentation?” “In a few days,” he replied, the excitement bleeding into his voice. She squeezed his hand as she passed by. Zaida was tugging on his jeans, “Daddy, can we go shopping with Nina?” “If that’s alright with her,” he replied. The woman nodded, and the older child cheered as she went to get the shoes she’d already kicked off.

The group of four headed out, taking the back routes to avoid crowds. Occasionally he got stopped by fans, but they at last made it to an empanada place.

Seated in the back, they ordered, and waited whilst talking.

Nina smiled as she felt David grab her hand under the table, squeezing gently. She returned the gesture, lacing their fingers together. Spending time with him was amazing, and knowing that he’d be moving to Barcelona only made it that much more special.

The food was good, and they headed back toward her car together. Olaya was only half awake, but Zaida was as excited as ever. “Go back to the hotel with us?” he asked hopefully. She nodded in consent as the older daughter latched on.

Suddenly a voice from behind them caught her attention, “Nina?”

~~

Adela nervously fiddled with the hem of her skirt as the editor flipped through the portfolio she’d compiled for the interview. She’d already answered basic questions – name, age, birthdate, place or origin, level of education, and so on.

The editor, Pau Castell, had been silently looking for several minutes keeping all comments, if he had any, to himself.

Finally he reached the end, and looked up, “Ms. Baskaran, your resume states that you’ve never had formal training or work as a photographer.” She nodded, blushing slightly, “I didn’t have enough money to continue my education, and I was trying to balance my career, and taking care of my family.”

He smiled, “I would have never guessed, looking at your photos. You seem professional. You seem to capture the right light, the right shapes, and the right subject. But more importantly, you take pictures that speak to the heart.”

She felt her cheeks burn at the praise, and smiled nervously.

“That’s why I’m giving you the job, because your passion bleeds through. People will want to see these places because they feel the emotion you put in, more so than anyone else I’ve talked to. So, Adela, welcome to our magazine,” Pau said, offering her his hand. They shook hands, and she left the office in complete disbelief.

Carles had already returned from morning practice, and was lounging on the sofa, flipping through albums he hadn’t seen, the ones of her family.

“How did it go?” he asked when he heard her enter the room.

She was unable to stop the smile that spread over her features, “I got the job!” He jumped up, and pulled her into a hug, “Congratulations!” She relaxed in his arms, glad that he had supported her through the interview. “Thank you for being her for me,” she mumbled into his muscular chest, “I’ve never really had such an amazing friend I could count on.”

Suddenly his warmth and embrace was on. He looked down at her seriously, “You think I’ve been doing this all as a friend?” She nodded mutely.

“I’m not doing this for friendship Adela, and if that is what you’ve thought my intention this entire time, you’re very wrong. I said it once, and if you didn’t believe me, let me make it clear. I love you Adela. Not as a friend, not as a sister – I love you like a man loves a woman. I look at you differently than anyone would look at their friend. If you only see me as a friend, you need to tell me now,” he said, his voice low and deep.

She felt embarrassment rush through her, and she struggled to form words. The longer she remained silent, the worse Carles’ expression became. He finally sighed, and turned to leave.

Her body reacted before she could think, grabbing his arm tightly. He looked back, waiting for her to say something. She still felt like something was stopping her – fear, embarrassment? She wasn’t sure at that point. She just didn’t want to see his heartbroken expression.

“I don’t know what I’m doing,” she confessed, unable to look him in the eye, “I’ve never been in a real…relationship.” “Do you feel it – being half of a whole?” he prompted, leaning closer. Her heart beat rapidly, and she nodded. She did. Carles completed that hollow part of her, one that had been there for years, almost for as long as she could remember.

“That is a feeling friends can’t give to each other, Adela. Lovers can, boyfriends, husbands, fiancés…that is what I want to be to you. If you’ll have me that is…”

Her heart pounded painfully fast as she at last lifted her eyes to his.

~~

David turned around at the same time as Nina, and found a young man. Without further ado, he snapped his heels together, and his hand lifted to salute her.

Her eyes shifted to her, and saw she looked rather embarrassed, her hands lifting to scratch the back of her head. “Please don’t do that, Mitchell,” she murmured. “I’m supposed to,” the man replied. David could barely grasp the conversation, which was in English, and he could tell Zaida was confused as well.

She shook her head, “We’re not in the United States or on a military base – I think you can relax from that obligation.” “Well, what if I want to?” he said, crossing her arms over his chest. She sighed, “Still no winning with you, Mitchell.” “Proud of it, Trujillo,” he replied with a wink. He then looked over at David, and arched a brow, “Did you get yourself a hot Spanish guy?”

She shot him an unimpressed look, “You’re a pig. What are you doing in Barcelona?” “Vacation with Valerie and the boys – Jack and Carter wanted to this soccer team at an exhibition match…” he answered, shrugging.

“Meet one of the players,” she grinning, jerking her thumb back at him.

“You know a professional soccer player?” the man named Mitchell exclaimed. “Dating, actually – he won the world cup with Spain this summer,” she said, unable to keep the smugness out of her words. David himself was amused to see the man floundering.

He wasn’t sure what to do, since half of what was being said was going over his head. But he relaxed when Nina took his hand as if it was natural, “Drop me an email if you want to meet up sometime. I’d love to see Val and the boys. But right now these girls are getting a bit restless. And please, no more salutes.” “No guarantees,” he quipped, saluting her as they left.

Zaida trotted beside them as they left, and soon wanted to be carried. Hoisting the girl up, she balanced her on her hip so she could still hold his hand.

“Why did he salute you?” David asked at last, once they were nearly at the hotel. “In the United States military, you can earn medals and badges for notable service. I received a medal of honor because I risked my life to save my companions several times in one attack. Because the criteria are hard to meet, only very few receive them. I’m one of five to receive one in the current war on terrorism. It’s traditional to salute any recipient of the medal within the military,” she explained.

They reached the hotel room, and David slid the card to open the door.

“Can you stay?” he asked, hugging her from behind. Her hands rested on his arms as he nuzzled her neck. “Yeah,” she agreed softly. “All night?” he asked, breath hot against her ear. “Mhmm,” she hummed, leaning back into his chest, watching Zaida flip through the television channels as Olaya chewed on a toy.

“Do you have work tomorrow?” he asked. She shook her head, enjoying the moment too much to speak. “Good,” he said softly, holding her tighter.

~~

Carles led Adela into the restaurant, eager to introduce her to some of his teammates. She looked nervous as he pulled out a chair for her, directly across from Gerard Piqué, his best friend on the team. Seated next to him was Andrés Iniesta, and Xavi was next to him.

David Villa appeared several minutes later, daughters and Nina in tow.

“Nina,” he called, waving her over. She smiled brightly, and left the star striker. “Bona nit,” she greeted the defender, and then turned to the female, “You must be Adela. Carles has been selfishly keeping you to himself. It’s nice to finally meet you – and also to see you are recovering nicely!”

The other female blushed at the openness, but Carles saw that she appreciated the presence of another woman.

“So David, I hear you’re our teammate now,” Xavi said, reclining in his chair. The rest of the table fell silent as the man rubbed his neck, “I am. I’m being presented in a few days.” “Congratulations!” Iniesta said, smiling widely at his national teammate.

Carles saw that Nina had pulled Adela off to the side to talk, and was careful to listen.

“So how long have you been dating?” she asked with a gentle smile. “Well…we made it official just a little while ago…but the feelings have been there since before my accident. He used to visit me at the club I worked at. I was…I was so miserable – he was one of the few things that made me truly happy,” Adela said, blushing. Nina smiled, “Is he your first boyfriend?” “No, but he’s the only one that I truly…truly love…”

Carles smiled, relishing the words, words he had never thought he’d hear from such a beautiful woman. After all, he was no Gerard. He was not the typical bachelor. Well, he wasn’t one anymore.

Nina smiled, “There’s nothing like your first love. You will never let go of it, and it has the potential to bloom, to grow, and to define your life if it’s returned. Carles loves you so much, ask any single one of us.” “So you’re dating Villa…is he that for you?” The defender saw the confliction on the other woman’s face, “No, but he is something equally as beautiful – a second chance.”

In that moment, he saw the understanding between the women – a connection. He had been right to introduce them.

The women exchanged numbers before going to join the rest of the group, Nina going out of her way to smack Xavi on the back of his head as he bragged about a game of futbolín. He pouted as she joined David, lifting Zaida into her arms as the toddler tried to hug her.

Adela grasped his hand as she returned to her seat beside him, and he saw the peace in her expression. He was happy for it, not wanting her to doubt his affections, or herself. But he could sense that she was beginning to grow, to blossom. She was finding her path at last after years of taking care of others, and putting her own life on the back burner. He wanted to be there for her during it all. He wanted to hoist trophies in her name with that of his club, or of his nation. He was ready to dedicate himself to her after his career, even before if the event called for it.

They had come so far from footballer and waitress, only to find that they were man and woman. But labels were wasted on him: boyfriend and girlfriend, or lovers, they were simply them. That was all of he could ask of her, and all she wanted from him.
He had come so close to losing her, something he had seen still haunting Nina. He feared it, and wanted to protect from the world, and all the possible dangers. Yet he refused to capture her spirit and suppress it. It was a journey and a fight for them to traverse together. And he felt as though they could make it, so long as they were with each other.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://barca.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum